Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Quest 12: Media 2.0 Part 1 You Tube

Ok, What can I say about You Tube? First thing that I thought about was copyright. It does not matter if a professional studio or artist or any old Tom, Dick or Harry who made the video, the videos are copyright protected. Tom, Dick or Harry might not might not know or care about copyright. A video is considered to be published once it is uploaded to You Tube. Therefore, technically one should gain permission before using any video.
I noticed a lot of copyright infringement when searching the film and animation category. Fans not the studio or artist are the ones who uploaded many of the videos in this category. The same problem is found in MySpaceTv.
I can see CCPL using You Tube to publish promotional videos. PLCMC has done this for summer reading and programs. They even have new employee orientation videos.
I plan on using a Naruto ad on Dorchester’s anime MySpace page to promote the club. I will be getting permission from FUNimation even though the library falls under fair use.

No comments: